Tuesday, October 29, 2013

DanceFIT Studio Instructor Spotlight: Nicole Vaillancourt!

This week, the DanceFIT Studio Instructor Spotlight is on Nicole!  Nicole does it all at DanceFIT.  She is a children's ballet instructor, a virtual instructor AND she will be teaching adult fitness in our new Natick studio!


1.  Tell our readers a little about yourself!  

 Hi guys! I’m 26, and I live in out in the wild woods of Hubbardston, MA with my boyfriend and two dogs. I have an MA in English from UMass Boston, and I work as a writing tutor for undergraduates and graduates at a couple colleges across the state. I’ve been on the Boston Cannons Dance Team for the past three years, and I’ve been with DF just as long!


2.  As a DanceFIT Studio Virtual instructor what do you love most about this innovative fitness revolution? Why do you think Skype classes with DanceFIT are so popular?

It’s amazing to me to see how Gina has gained this virtual cult following, but I am definitely not surprised! Two years ago I would teach my early morning virtual class for a few clients once a week, and now there are numerous class options, many more teachers on the schedule, and enthusiastic clients galore! (The last I checked, I had almost 100 Skype contacts from VirtualFIT alone). I guess it was only a matter of time until fitness classes joined the countless other services that have gone virtual, and I truly feel very lucky that I’m a part of it! I love seeing the reaction on people’s faces when I tell them about it (“You do what?!”) and then after a brief pause, they tell me it’s the best idea they’ve ever heard.

I really believe in VirtualFIT because not only am I an instructor, but I’m also a client, which is one of the best testaments to a business. I try to take other instructors’ classes as often as I can because it is THE easiest and most convenient way to exercise. If you’re taking an early morning class, you get a great sweaty workout in before you leave your home, meaning you don’t have to deal with the chaos of showering at the gym or work. If you take a class late at night, you can still plan dinner around your workout and not miss time with your friends or family while you’re stuck in traffic or waiting 20 min for an elliptical machine to free up. Ain’t nobody got time for that!  

This has also been a dream come true for me since the program was launched around the same time I moved away from the Boston area. I used to love taking DanceFIT classes at the Brookline studio, so it works out perfectly that I can not only still take them but teach them from the comfort of my own home.

3.  You are also a DanceFIT Studio children’s ballet instructor.  What do you love about teaching young children? 

It is so incredibly refreshing teaching the little ones. They are ecstatic just to be able to wear pink head to toe, sit next to their friend, be the line leader, or perform for their parents. Their honesty and curiosity make me smile (and laugh) every week. They really teach you to appreciate the little things. I also love watching them try something for the first time, often adorably unsuccessfully, as they learn coordination and how their bodies work. See “The Tragedy of First Position” – best YouTube video ever.

4.  What is your FIT Style?  What do you love to workout in?  


If I was a cartoon character, I’d be wearing black yoga pants, a heather gray racer back tank, and a neon sports bra. Since I’m that person who’s ALWAYS in workout clothes, I stick to my tried and true favorites that last 9,000 cycles in the wash. I love the dancewear-inspired brand Katrinawear (KTRNA), specifically the bra tops and shorts. Everything comes in great colors, patterns, and fabrics. I want the whole online store! I’m also a huge fan of VS yoga pants because they come in shorter lengths. And last but not least, I LOVE my DanceFIT gear! My DF sweatshirts are a must as a warm up layer for classes and for wearing on the weekends or even to bed.

5.  What do you love to do when you’re not on the dance floor?


When I’m not on my computer working, on the dance floor, or on the virtual dance floor (aka my basement), it’s probably because I’m enjoying a much needed rest day. Rest days can include me picking up one of the 500 half-finished novels or knitting projects lying around the house or indulging in copious amounts of TV. I have a moderate-severe addiction! There are so many good shows I keep up with, and I certainly get my money’s worth of On Demand, Netflix, and HBO Go.

Other times I like to walk or hike around where I live because it’s so beautiful any time of year. Walking or playing outside with the dogs is always great too. There’s also a huge outdoor flea market a mile down the road that’s become a weekend tradition. It’s great exercise to just walk around with coffee and people watch. It sounds cheesy, but it’s a happening place! They serve fried dough and alcohol…

6.  Your BalletFIT classes are a favorite of our clients; what should clients know about these classes?  Why are they so beneficial in your opinion? 

Any BalletFIT class, just like in “real” ballet, is going to give you the perfect blend of an aerobic and anaerobic or high and low impact workout. In BalletFIT cardio for example, there are rapid, short bursts of “high intensity” exercises that get your heart rate up and burn fat, but there are still classic isometric ballet movements that tone and strengthen muscles. Because high impact isn’t for everyone, there are options and modifications so that each client can still get the most out of the class without getting injured. A good “dancer” stretch is crucial at the end and always my favorite part. There’s no better feeling than stretching out your muscles when you’re really hot and sweaty!

I also love sharing the ballet steps and terminology with newcomers. Ballet does so much for your coordination, balance, flexibility, and posture. People are suddenly turning to ballet or barre-based methods for a good workout, and the DanceFIT instructors have been around them our whole lives. Sometimes when planning a new class, I think back to the barre exercises I hated the most growing up (the ones that really hurt!).

7.  We are so excited that you will be teaching both Adult Fitness and Children’s Ballet in our new Natick, MA location!  Please tell our readers what you will bring to our new studio and the DanceFIT Community during this new and exciting time! 

What I love about being a part of the DF community is that I have never felt as though I am “working.” I love love love “working” for Gina and with the rest of the instructors. I know that a huge part of DF’s success is the quality of relationships formed among instructors and between instructors and students, instructors and parents, instructors and clients, etc. Some instructors were even former clients. How cool is that? Simply put, it’s passion at work. We are all excited and determined to make this new location a success and can’t wait to see the new influx of clients and families gush at all the awesomeness that is DF. I’m personally bringing with me well over 20 years of dance training and almost 10 years of choreographing and instructing. Cheers to this new journey!

Thank you for letting us feature you this week Nicole! We love your positive attitude and you're continued support of DanceFIT!

No comments: