Thursday, November 7, 2013

DanceFIT Studio Instructor Spotlight: Emily!

We are so excited to spotlight Emily this week!  Emily is a newer member of our DanceFIT team and she has some AMAZING classes on the schedule!  Read all about Emily and her great health and fitness tips below!

1.  Tell our readers a little about yourself!  

Hi there! By day I'm a site editor for a technology media company, writing specifically for decision-making technology professionals. I graduated from the University of Massachusetts Amherst with a BA in Journalism and Communication in 2012. Since graduating, I have moved from the Pioneer Valley to Boston to be closer to work and the hustle and bustle of the city. I'm originally from the South Shore, which is where my family resides. I've been dancing since I was a toddler and teaching fitness classes since my sophomore year of college.

2.  We are so excited that you are both a DanceFIT Studio Virtual instructor and In-Studio Instructor.  What do you think is so special about the Virtual community?

I've only been teaching VirtualFIT classes for a week now, but I can already tell ... it's amazing. Being able to connect via Skype takes the client/instructor relationship to a whole different level. Not only do they "invite" me into their home, they get a glimpse into my home life as well. In this day and age, a lot of communicating happens online (whether we like it or not), but VirtualFIT allows us to get a little face time and build bonds... then stay connected via email, Facebook, Skype chat, what-have-you. The community online is incredible and truly inspiring! Everyone is constantly cheering each other on.

3.  Your class, Yoga Ballet Flow has hit both the Virtual and studio schedules and our clients LOVE it!  Tell us a bit about this class and how you started teaching it...why do you love this class?

Yoga Ballet Flow was something I created in college when I started getting really into yoga. Truth is, I missed ballet... a lot. UMass offered dance classes for college credits, but the free fitness classes offered at the gym didn't include anything ballet-inspired. I took elements of a vinyasa class and fused them with ballet techniques and toning moves. Voila! Yoga Ballet Flow.

I love this class because it has all the elements of a serious yoga class -- from beginning to end -- but modifies some moves to look more like ballet poses instead of yoga poses (i.e. holding a passé instead of tree pose). We focus strongly on pranayama and enter posture to stretch every area in the body, creating space and letting energy flow.

4.  What is your FIT Style?  What do you love to workout in?  

For yoga, I love everything lululemon -- how could a girl not?! But more seriously, fitted clothes that breathe are best for yoga, accessorized with leg warmers and cozy sweaters from time to time. For Zumba, I love wearing flow-y tops and my new Reebok sneakers... I can't get enough of them.

5.  What do you love to do when you’re not on the dance floor?

When I am not on the dance floor, I love cooking and experimenting in the kitchen. I share a lot of those recipes on my health/fitness/lifestyle blog, Stay Healthy, Stay Happy. I also enjoy making time for friends and family -- especially my siblings. The pic below is my youngest sister Mary, a dancer and hockey player who has dabbled with softball, basketball and a number of other sports. Aside from those things, I really enjoy going to concerts, eating sushi and strolling through Boston with my super cute BF. ;)


6.  You teach both Zumba and Yoga, which are completely different classes.  What do you love about each class?

Zumba and yoga are indeed two very different workouts, but it's a duality I really cherish. You can hop on the dance floor and get lost in the music, or step onto your yoga mat and get lost in the rhythm of your own breath. The energy level is certainly different, but the end goal is the same: Leave feeling a little lighter with the corners of your mouth turned up. You also don’t have to be an expert at either workout to get what you need out of it, Zumba and yoga welcome all.

7.  What’s on your playlist- what keeps your classes upbeat and moving?

Head over to my Spotify profile to see what music keeps me going! I’m constantly updating my playlists for Zumba, yoga, running, etc.

8.  Your blog, Stay Healthy, Stay Happy is a wealth of information about fitness and healthy eating.  What general health and fitness rule do you live by?

I truly believe that in order to be happy you need to take care of yourself — body and mind. Fill your life with good-for-you food, great relationships, positive thoughts and healthy habits. With that… you’re destined for success.

9.  Share your favorite piece of FITspiration with our readers

If we did all the things we are capable of, we would literally astound ourselves. –Thomas A. Edison

Take it in. We are capable of so much more than we think. In terms of fitness, you’ll never know how low you can squat until you try and you’ll never do a handstand until you give it a go. I like to surprise myself with new accomplishments every day and I encourage everyone to do the same.

No comments: