Tuesday, August 27, 2013

DanceFIT Studio Instructor Spotlight: Maria!

Meet Maria!  She is a DanceFIT Studio Children's Ballet Instructor and has recently acquired a new title at DanceFIT: Director of Curriculum Development & Outreach!  Please give a big congratulations to Maria! 



Tell our readers a little about yourself!

I grew up in New York City, went to college in Maine, and moved here last September a few months after my college graduation. Although it was a bit of a hard transition, I had the good fortune of finding DanceFIT immediately upon my arrival to Boston.

I was a Religion major in college but it was my interest Education Policy (my minor) that drove me to Boston in the end. Specifically, I had studied community-based strategies of school reform, and came to Brookline looking for further experience teaching and working with children. Being part of the DanceFIT community has allowed me to blend my love of teaching with my life long passion for dance. The added bonus is that I work with a really talented and dedicated group of women. Over the past year, I have learned how infinitely better life is when you work with people you respect, and who you simply enjoy being around.

Why are you so passionate about dance?

This is a hard question! Where to start! I took my first Ballet class at three and trained in Ballet until I was sixteen. At a young age, Ballet captured me and that passion is what defines me. It wasn’t until I was in high school that I began to understand the real beauty of dance and its impact on our world. After I began experimenting with choreography (both my own and in collaboration with others), I started to see some basic ways in which dance created positive change in my life and in the lives of others. Now I see dance as arguably the most natural form of communication we as humans have access to. It deals with emotion—which we usually have a lot of, or at least I do—and it uses the body as its primary medium. At its core, dance is the union of movement and imagination, and is therefore a really effective way for us exercise both physically and creatively.

I have always felt connected to the world through dance, but I was not always aware of the connection, and therefore I did not take the care to nurture it. As a teacher at DanceFIT, I am really passionate about helping young dancers to find this connection early on in their career. I think it is important to grasp that the quality of dance is measured only in part by technique; the real measure of skill is determined by poignancy with which a dancer is able to express emotion.  


As a DanceFIT Studio Children’s Ballet instructor, what makes you love teaching kids?

For one thing, teaching children makes me feel more like a grown up! It’s refreshing to be around children—they have honest emotional responses to situations that make them uncomfortable or nervous. Working with kids has forced me to relearn the techniques we have acquired as adults that help us cope with these feelings. It’s a mini refresher course every time I go to coax a child who feels uneasy, or when I give a correction to a slightly frustrated dancer. As a teacher, it is my responsibility to ensure that dance is an enjoyable, educational, and accessible experience for each child. Without my students, I would be a flustered little dancer!  

What age group do you love to teach and why?

Each age group is very different; it’s impossible to have a favorite. The focus for older students is primarily on technique, so I am able to tap into Ballet mode a bit more. Younger students, aside from being painfully adorable, are taking their first steps into the dance world and are full of excitement and raw energy. This past year at DanceFIT I had my first teaching experience with toddlers and I am a changed person. These little ones are at an age when they feel more control of their bodies, and it is fascinating to see that ways they use their newfound stability to explore basic movements. Being a part of all my student’s dance experiences makes my days brighter—there is no other way to explain it.


What is your favorite piece of fitness inspiration or advice you would love to share?

I have to admit that I am usually the one seeking guidance to this question. After I stopped dancing competitively, I had a rough time finding my flow in the fitness world. I love stretching, and I do a lot of yoga, but I rarely go near the machines at the gym (or anything heavy and made of metal for that matter). Part of what I love about DanceFIT is that each class finds creative and encouraging ways to reach out to people like me, who require some presence of joy in their work out experience.

I do have one sort of weird strategy that works for me—if I am experiencing physical discomfort, I think of exercise as my body giving itself a massage. For some reason it tricks my brain into thinking the workout is a more pleasant experience. It works at least 50% of the time. It is actually very soothing in yoga though, I highly recommend this little mantra during twists and deep stretches.

You have a new position with DanceFIT Studio: Director of Curriculum Development & Outreach. Congratulations!  What do you hope to achieve in this position?  What are your main goals? Please tell us about some events you are planning.

Thank you! I am so excited to have the opportunity to bring my background in education development to the position, and I have been working closely with Gina this summer to get the ball rolling on some new projects. DanceFIT is constantly looking for new ways to further our commitment to play an active role within the  community of Brookline. In terms of our new curriculum goals, and upcoming events, we have focused a lot on community development and relationship building. We want our students to really get to know their teachers and one another, to ensure a learning environment where they feel comfortable to express themselves freely and experiment creatively.

There are so many new and exciting things on the menu this year. One project I am really excited about is our initiative to introduce a cultural exploration of world dance. We are interested in honoring the very diverse cultural population within the community of Brookline. We want to encourage our students and their families to share with us their backgrounds and celebrate their culture through dance and music. September 28th marks our first Dance Night, Hula into Fall, when we will say our last goodbyes to summer, and learn a bit about the origins of Hula dance in Hawaii..

What do you love to do when you’re not on the dance floor?


Over the past year, I have worked in schools teaching Creative Writing and ESL to 2nd, 3rd and 4th graders. I go back to New York relatively often to see my friends and family, but I spend a lot time hanging out in the very convenient and very cozy neighborhood of Brookline (I have loved living here!). This winter, I excited to travel to New Zealand, where my dad is from, to visit my grandmother and many other relatives.

Has anyone in your life had a particular influence on your love of dance?

Yes, my dance teacher in High School. She is an accomplished and talented dancer, but more than that she is a beautiful person and a very gifted teacher. She found a way to reach each individual student, and continues to do so through her love of dance. I am still struck by her ability to transform students who have had little or no dance experience, into the most avid dancers, choreographers, and dance enthusiasts. She has always inspired my love of dance, and now has shaped the way I approach teaching as well. Thank you, Ms. Rut!

Do you have any cute ballerina stories to share with us?

Every second is full of cuteness. I can barely take it when they give me hugs. It literally warms my heart. I also really love when they start to remember who I am. Even if they don’t know (or can’t pronounce) my name, I love it when they start to feel more comfortable around my presence and with the routine of the class.

Read more about why Maria's students love her so much and her new classes here


Thank you for letting us highlight you, Maria!  We are so lucky that you are a part of DanceFIT.

No comments: