Monday, August 26, 2013

Meet Our Social Media Manager

I am very excited to welcome Katrina to the DanceFIT Staff as our social media manager. Katrina was the perfect candidate for this fun position.  This doesn't mean I have have gone dark (haha), it just means you will see a MORE active social media presence! Read more about my interview with this amazing mother/wife, motivator, and dancefitter-for-life!



1. Please tell us about yourself.

Hi!  First and foremost, I am a wife and Mama to a wonderful husband and two amazingly beautiful babies.  They are 2.5 and 11 months.  The light of my life. Let’s not forget the furbaby- Fenway.  My 9 year old Goldendoodle!  I work full time at a Boston-based building and construction management company.  We specialize in building restaurants and high end retail spaces around the country.  I have been in this industry for about 8 years and I don’t see myself leaving anytime soon!   My schedule is pretty packed between work and the babes, but in my “free” time I work out.  I also love photography :) 



2. How did you start working out with DanceFIT? You were the perfect candidate to take on the new position at DanceFIT as our social media manager.  Congratulations! What fun ideas do you have to unite the DanceFIT community and our followers all over the world?

About 10 months after my daughter was born, I was in a major rut.  Feeling discouraged with my lack of weight loss, but also not doing anything about it.  I felt too embarrassed to go to the gym, and too lazy.  I happened to see a Daily Candy deal for Virtual group fitness classes one day. Workout at home, in my living room where no one can see or judge?  Count me in!  I used up my 5 class package and I was instantly hooked.  From there on out I have been taking between 3 and 10 (during 6FIT!) classes per week, I have participated in 4 6FIT sessions and I have even been to the studio for a few classes.  

I feel really grateful that Gina approached me about the Social Media Manager position with DanceFIT Studio.  I have a special place in my heart for DanceFIT, Gina and the success of the business.  Over the past 2 years I have had some really wonderful opportunities with DanceFIT...it has really been a life-changing experience for me.  

I am excited to bring all of the social media platforms together to show the world how DanceFIT Studio can change their lives too! There are so many ways to reach out to the fitness market through Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Pinterest & Instagram.  Be on the lookout for some really fun contests, and lots of DanceFIT Studio social media activity!  DanceFIT has so many dedicated followers...we’ll need you to spread the word too!


3.  What is your favorite DanceFIT class and why?


This is so hard.  I cannot pick just one.  Here are my top three (and even picking three is hard!)


BalletFIT Cardio:  I love that I can be a ballerina for 45 minutes while also getting my heartrate up.  I am literally the least coordinated human on the planet, but slowly but surely, I am starting to get the steps down.  BalletFIT has made me more flexible than I could have ever imagined...you never know what your body is capable of doing until you take this class!


Cardio & Core: I LOVE this class.  A mix of high impact cardio and a killer ab series.  The first time I took this class and had to do burpees I thought I was going to pass out.  I remember my husband encouraging me to do one more...I could barely get to 5.  Now, I take on burpees as a challenge and love/hate when it’s burpee time :)


Plank & Core:  I have been taking this class every single Monday night since it started.  I think I mostly love this class because of the amazing instructor, Alissa.  She has the calmest voice, but pushes you at all the right times.  Her plank series are insane and just when you think you’ve learned every type of crunch, she introduces another one!


Another favorite (see I told you I can’t pick just 3, let alone 1!) are the bootcamps Gina teaches on holidays like Memorial Day, Labor Day, Christmas, etc...They are the absolute best.  I would love if I could take that boot camp every day!  It’s the perfect way to earn your holiday and a great way to de-stress before a crazy day of family, friends and food! 






4.  The virtualFIT experience is different than any other fitness program. Why? How and why has it worked for you?


VirtualFIT is different from any other program for the following reasons:  

1.  It is a no-brainer.  I don’t have to leave my house.  I put the kids to bed and roll out my mat.  Done.  No excuses! 

2.  It allows me to spend quality time with my husband while I workout.  He is watching TV and I am working out in the same room.  If I want some alone time, I just go to a different room! He is a pretty good motivator though so I don’t mind working out in front of him.  

3.  The people I take VirtualFIT classes with are truly the best.  I have become friends with so many of them and we all have a common goal: staying healthy and fit even though our lives are insanely hectic, we have crazy kids and we are always on the go.  

4.  I have been able to share my beloved workouts with my sister and my best friend as well as other friends around the country.  I hope to share my workout with my family abroad soon too.  


5.  Before you became our social media manager, you spent a lot of time motivating clients through encouragement and positive quotes.  What is your best piece of fitness advice or inspiration for someone considering taking a DanceFIT class?


I can’t say it enough, but the motivation and support that I have gotten through the DanceFIT community is what has kept me coming back.  Knowing that I am never, ever judged, have people who I can vent challenging days to and people who cheer me on when I have accomplished a personal goal...is priceless.  You won’t find that anywhere else.  I try to do the same to everyone else whether they are at DanceFIT or just started a running program of their own.  Motivation is key.  

6. As a social media guru, who are your favorite people & companies to follow?

My all time favorite company to follow is PopSugar Fitness (and PopSugar Moms/Home! I love PopSugar!)  They have the best of everything: workout gear, youtube videos, recipes and really great inspirational quotes.  I follow them on every form of social media possible and repost them daily!  

7.  I know you don’t have to leave your house for virtualFIT workouts, but what is your FIT fashion?  

My FIT Fashion includes workout leggings and crops from Lululemon, C2 shorts and tanks from Target (if you haven’t checked out their workout line you should, it’s awesome) and in a pinch just some old t-shirts or tanks with a pair of workout pants.  Even though I workout at home, I still like cute gear- it makes me feel good.  I save my workout gear splurges for when I have hit a personal fitness goal as a reward.  For BalletFIT classes, I love my Blake Brody barre shoes!

8.  What is your favorite exercise that is regularly seen in DanceFIT classes?

CROW! #1 by far.  I worked long and hard to master crow and I can proudly say that after months of working on it, I can hold it for the entire time.  Other than crow, I would say any sort of plank.  I struggle with planks every class, but it’s a challenge I love! Eagle crunches...if you haven’t tried these, you should.  I dislike them at the time but the next day I can definitely feel it everywhere.

9. If you could sum up 6FIT in one sentence, what would it be?

6FIT is not a diet, it is where healthy eating, fitness, competition, friendship and motivation meet and become 6 weeks of amazing inspirational challenge.  Read more about 6FIT here.





Thank you Katrina for letting me feature you! We are so excited to have you on our team and inspiring our clients daily!

4 comments:

NMP said...

Where is the "love" button for this?!? Yay, Katrina! So excited for you, DanceFIT, and more social media!

Unknown said...

Thanks Nicole!!

Robert said...

Congrats Katrina! That's great news!

Unknown said...

Thanks Robert!