Tuesday, April 8, 2014

DanceFIT Studio Instructor Spotlight: Miss Lauren!

Happy Tuesday!  We are excited to shine the spotlight on Miss Lauren this week!  Lauren is a DanceFIT beloved children's ballet teacher and adult fitness instructor in Brookline.  


1.  Tell our readers a little about yourself!  

Hi! I live in Watertown (right now... I have moved 6 times in the last 5 years) and grew up on the South Shore in Hingham. I went to Hamilton College in NY where I double majored in English and Dance and then got a job in educational publishing in Boston - to prove everyone who told me I should be a teacher wrong - before deciding I really should be a teacher. I just received my Master's Degree in Elementary Education last spring from Boston College and now I teach kindergarten in West Roxbury, which I absolutely love!

2.  Why are you so passionate about dance?  How did you begin dancing?

I was two when I first saw Baryshnikov's Nutcracker on TV and immediately demanded ballet slippers and ballet classes. I had to wait until I turned three to be accepted into the school near our house (no Tippy Toes!), and waited out the time by watching the Nutcracker every day and doing my best to copy Clara's moves, including forcing my dad to push me around in a rocking chair as my sleigh...I studied ballet very seriously for many years and could never get enough of dancing, so I also took jazz and hip hop on the side. For me, there is something about the combination of music, story, and movement that is endlessly inspiring. I love how dance can be interpreted in so many different ways and allows you to really focus on just the moment that you're in. 

3. You are one of our beloved DanceFIT Studio children’s ballet instructors!  What do you love most about teaching young children? 


Teaching children's ballet at DanceFIT is actually what made me realize how much I love working with kids and led me to become a teacher. Kids bring such an honesty to everything that they do - you know if they are enjoying class, or not enjoying it, which I think is a great challenge. Especially for the dancers in our youngest classes, there is no concept of self-consciousness and it is so fun to see them try everything full out and dance their hearts out without any hesitation. It also helps that they are hilarious and think I should really be a ballerina princess...

4.  We know you are a school teacher as your "day job".  How do you integrate your school teaching methods into our children's ballet program?

Since becoming a teacher, I think I have become more organized and consistent with my children's ballet classes, and have put more emphasis on holding the dancers to high expectations in terms of their focus and effort. I used to worry so much about all of the students having fun at every minute, which could result in chaos and students running back and forth to parents all throughout class. I have learned that children respond really well to structure and consistency as long as they are clearly explained. I start every class with a chance for the dancers to talk about anything exciting they have going on to help reduce chatting during the lesson, and I make sure to structure times for them to get a sip of water and say hello to their family members. I have also learned how important it is to be flexible and to have a sense of humor. No matter what I plan, at ballet or in school, something will come up with the kids that necessitates a change in direction and as long as I can laugh about it, we all have a great time.

5.  What is your favorite piece of fitness inspiration or advice you would love to share?

My ballet teacher's motto was "Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect." A little extreme, but I have always liked the idea of focusing on the details when you're starting to feel like you need a little more inspiration in class. Even prima ballerinas can take an intro ballet class and get something out of it by revisiting the basics and making focused shifts in movements to see improvement. It's really one of the principles behind a lot of what we do in BalletFIT - small, focused movements can give you such dramatic results; it's just using your energy in the most effective way.

6.  What is your FIT Style?  What do you love to workout in?  

My FIT style depends a lot on what sort of exercise I'm doing. For ballet, I still always wear a leotard (old habits) and then lots of loose layers. For most other things, I like to wear sort of absurd, bright clothes - things I would never wear in "real" life. For some reason the bright colors get me pumped up for whatever I'm about to do. 

7.  What do you love to do when you’re not on the dance floor?

I really love to cook and am constantly watching Food Network to get new ideas for healthy meals. I found out a few years ago that I have Celiac Disease, and so I was forced to learn how to reinvent meals to make them gluten free. Almost every Sunday I try to make something a little bit challenging and new. I also love to be outside, especially at the beach, and spend a lot of time in Maine visiting my family.

8.  We LOVE your BalletFIT Tone & Stretch class in Brookline!  Why is it so important to add a stretching routine to your fitness regimen? 

Thank you! Stretching is so, so important!! Not only does stretching help to prevent injuries and soothe sore muscles, it's also essential to attaining the long, lean look that so many people are hoping to accomplish with dance-based fitness. I also think taking a guided stretching class is a great idea because a lot of times people don't stretch for enough time or with the best focus, which kind of defeats the purpose. I think it's awesome that DanceFIT offers classes like this and encourages people not to think of them as less than a real fitness class.

9.  Children in our ballet programs really resonate with you.  What is one thing you do to make kids feel comfortable in their ballet class?  

I always give kids the chance to tell me about things they have going on in their lives before we get started with class. I like to encourage them to feel like they are friends with the other kids in class, and it serves as a way for me to have a chance to connect with them. I think that if they feel comfortable and confident with me, they're more prepared to make mistakes and take the risks that they need to in order to learn new, more challenging exercises in class. Plus, the most important thing is that they're having fun, and I want to be having fun with them!

10.  Why do you think it's important for children to have a way to express themselves in extra curricular classes, whether it is ballet, music, art or another sport? 

I think that activities that allow children to express themselves in an authentic way are how they figure out who they are and what things really speak to them. I think that it's really important for children to have interests that are unique to them, and exposing them to all sorts of different activities at a young age is a great way for them to find their passions. 

Thank you for letting us feature you this week, Lauren! 

No comments: