Wednesday, July 30, 2014

DanceFIT Studio Instructor Spotlight: Kayte!

Get to know Kayte!  She is our newest DanceFIT instructor and we are so excited that she will be bringing Zumba to Natick!



1.  Tell our readers a little about yourself!  

I grew up in the greater Boston area and began dancing at age 3. I have always had a passion for dance and continued dancing and cheerleading throughout high school. I then attended Boston College where I joined the Coed Cheerleading team. I loved being a part of this team and representing Boston College on a national scale. After graduating from BC, I worked in finance for a bit before deciding that my true passion was higher education. I decided to return to BC for a Master's Degree in Higher Education Administration and have since been working in college admissions - at USC, BU, and now back at BC!

I am beyond thrilled to be joining the DanceFIT team and can't wait to share my passion for dance and Zumba with all of the amazing members of this community.


2.  Why are you so passionate about dance?

For me, dancing is one of the only times that I don't think about anything else going on in my life. It is the one true time that I can focus on myself, rejuvenate, and just have a care-free good time. I think it is an amazing way to cast your worries aside and remind yourself that, although there are challenges everyday in life, there are lots of ways to overcome and continue moving forward. I am also a firm believer that dance is one of the best all-over body workouts someone can do. While we are moving and shaking to some fun music, we are really working every muscle in our body (and we don't even know it!)

3.  As a new DanceFIT Studio Zumba Studio Instructor, what do you love most about teaching?   

I love to see the confidence that builds in my students not only over time, but from the beginning to end of class as well. Zumba can be nerve-wracking for people who have never taken a class before, but before long, they are confident (and sweaty!), and truly embracing what Zumba is all about. As students better learn and remember routines, they can open up and really put their all into it. I also love getting to know the clients. I often find that everyone has such a unique and personal reason as to why they are taking each class, and I think that adds an element of excitement and energy to a Zumba workout.


4.  Your classes are so upbeat!  What’s on your playlist right now to keep yourself and your students moving?

I have always LOVED pop music. To stay true to the Zumba formula, however, I will always incorporate about 2/3 latin music into my playlist. I try to use some Shakira or Pitbull as well to make sure students are familiar with some music. For pop tunes, right now I have some Britney Spears, Ke$ha, and my ALL TIME FAVORITE, Justin Timberlake.

5.  What is your favorite piece of fitness inspiration or advice you would love to share? 

Do what you love and what works best for you. I have always struggled to find a love for running. I know it is more mental than physical for me, but I have realized over time that I shouldn't force myself to do something I don't enjoy. For me, Zumba doesn't feel like a chore. I look forward to going to class and teaching class, and I think that is what a workout should be about. Try not to view your workouts as a means to an end, but rather as a part of your life that you look forward to and enjoy doing.

6.  What is your FIT Style?  What do you love to workout in?  

My go to is a pair of yoga paints with a lululemon top or something similar. I like to be comfortable when I dance!

7.  What do you love to do when you’re not on the dance floor? 

When I am not on the dance floor, I love to go to Cape Cod. I have been going since I was a little girl and just love cooking out, relaxing, and enjoying the beach! I am actually getting married down the Cape this August.

 8.  Tell us a little about why you love teaching Zumba...how did you learn to move so fast?  

I love teaching Zumba for many reasons! It is such an upbeat and fast-paced class that it is hard to get bored. It's also easy to see people progressing and enjoying themselves. Since I have been dancing since I was young, I have learned to pick up choreography at a faster pace. That being said, there are always times in class where I go the wrong way, lift the wrong arm, whatever! But that is what Zumba is all about - as long as you keep moving and keep smiling, you are bound to get a great workout in.

9.We are SO excited to welcome you to our DanceFIT family as a Zumba instructor in Natick! What are you plans to keep your Zumba clients motivated? 

I am SO excited to be a part of this community! I hope to keep clients motivated by making the class as dynamic and upbeat as possible. I try to switch out a couple of songs and add 1-2 new songs each week. I think this works well because students start to feel comfortable and confident with some of the choreography, yet also don't get too bored of the same music and moves week-after-week. I'm also hoping that once I develop relationships with the Zumba clients, I can start to understand their music and choreography preferences and start to tailor class playlists to their wants.

Kayte teaches her amazing Zumba class in Natick On Wednesday at 7PM!  Come join her and bring your friends! 

No comments: