Thursday, May 1, 2014

DanceFIT Studio Client Spotlight: Tina!

This weeks spotlight is in Tina, one of our dedicated Brookline clients!  Thank you for letting us feature you this week, Tina!! 



1. Tell us about yourself.  How did you start working out with DanceFIT?

Hi! I'm originally from CT and moved to Boston in 2007 where I got my degree in Linguistics at Northeastern University. I currently live in Davis Square and work as an administrative assistant in downtown Boston, trying to save up for grad school for a M.S. in Speech-Language Pathology. When I am not dancing, I am usually at a concert, playing with horses (I volunteer at a horse farm), or relaxing with friends.
I danced a lot as a kid--I did mostly Ballet from age 3, but also jazz, tap and lyrical. Unfortunately, I stopped dancing in high school and college because life got in the way (as it often does). About a year ago, I decided I wanted to return to dance and I knew I wanted something to help get me into shape and boost my confidence before I stepped back into the studio. I soon after stumbled upon a Groupon for DanceFIT Studio and just knew it was meant to be!

2.  As a DanceFIT Studio Brookline client, how has working out with DanceFIT changed your workout routine?

DanceFIT has completely changed everything about my workout routine! I used to have to drag myself to work out at the gym. To me the gym is just, well...boring! Because of that I had never been able to stay motivated and maintain a steady routine. I often found myself slacking off and looking for excuses not to work out.
Since I started at DanceFIT almost a year ago, I have been at the studio pretty much every week, almost every day--I can't get enough! Every class I have taken at DanceFIT has been fun and challenging. Being part of the special programs that the studio offers, like SpringFIT and 6FIT has helped me shape a consistent exercise routine, healthy eating habits, and overall wellness.


3.  What songs on your playlist keep you motivated during a workout?

Music is such an important part of my work out! For me, it totally depends on the mood I'm in going into a workout. If I am feeling sluggish and having just one of those blah days I love to listen to upbeat music that makes me feel fierce and sassy--Britney and Beyoncé are among my favorites for when I need that little extra push to get me going. If I've just had a stressful day at work, I like to start with something really intense (I'm a huge punk fan) to get all that pent up frustration out of my system, and then end my workout with a nice long cool down and relaxing stretch with acoustic guitar tracks or instrumental songs.


4.  What is your favorite DanceFIT class and why?


This is such a tough question! My Top 3 (in no particular order) are the signature BalletFIT class with Gina, Zumba with Maeve, and PopFIT with Alyssa. All three classes and instructors do an awesome job of kicking my butt, most of the time without me even realizing it! BalletFIT is great for toning legs and arms--getting into long and strong ballerina shape. Zumba is so much fun--Maeve has an awesome calorie-burning playlist and I always leave sweaty and smiling. I love PopFIT because Alyssa is always challenging us, and reminding us that we are capable of more than we think (I definitely didn't know I could do 50 push ups!), it’s also one of the only classes at the studio where you get to learn some original choreography each week.


5.  Tell our readers what your favorite go-to pre-workout snack is!

My go to snack is usually an apple with organic peanut butter. It is crunchy, sweet and salty and gives me a nice little boost of protein before my workout. If I'm on the run, I'll grab a Nature Valley protein bar or a handful of mixed nuts.


6.  What is your best piece of fitness advice or inspiration?


There a few things that I often remind myself of when I'm feeling uninspired. First off, just have fun! Fitness shouldn't be so serious all the time otherwise you'll start to resent it.

Secondly, Rome wasn't built in a day. I often find myself getting impatient that my hard work isn't yielding results, so I have to remind myself not to think about fitness as a short term goal but as a life-long endeavor for overall wellness.

Lastly, if I am feeling lazy and sorry for myself I think about my 93 year old grandma who raised 6 kids (5 boys!), who now lives on her own, drives herself to aqua aerobics every week, and totally kicks butt all day, every day. She is the strongest, most beautiful woman I've ever had the pleasure of knowing. She inspires me to work hard and take care of my body, mind, and heart so that I can be as strong and as healthy as her when I'm in my nineties!


7.  What is your FIT fashion?  What do you usually wear for workouts?

If I am doing any of the BalletFIT classes, whether it is barre + tone, cardio, or HOT, I usually wear ballet tights, shorts, leg warmers and a tank top. It really makes me feel like a ballerina when I have the whole outfit on! Otherwise, I am usually in leggings and a tank top. I get most of my stuff from TJ Maxx/Marshalls, Target and Forever21, they have a lot of fun, colorful, and inexpensive workout gear. Oh--and I'm obsessed with my DanceFIT off-the-shoulder sweatshirt, it’s SO comfy!


8.  What do you tell your friends and family when they ask about why you love DanceFIT so much?

I tell everyone that it's a really welcoming place. Whether you've come from years of dance experience or you have two left feet, the instructors and fellow dancefitters are so supportive and non-judgmental. I rave to everyone about how much fun I have and that I always leave feeling strong and confident. I also tell people about the virtual option for those days when you don't feel like digging your car out of the snow, or when you just have too much on your to-do list and can't make it out to the studio.

9. What were you most nervous about coming to your first DanceFIT class?  What was your first experience like?


I was most nervous that everyone in class was going to be a world-class ballerina and I was going to be this misfit who hadn't even worn ballet slippers in 10 years. My first class was nothing like I had built up in my mind! Gina and the fellow clients were so welcoming and helpful and I immediately felt at ease. DanceFIT has a really great collection of instructors and clients that truly make the studio feel more like a community, rather than just a place to work out. After my first class I just knew it was a perfect FIT (sorry, that was corny, I know).

No comments: